Thursday, July 19, 2012

O Wow! Oprah Magazine and Oprah Online


Oprah Winfrey seems to have the whole world in her hands, especially when it comes to media. She's an actress, producer, philanthropist, co-author of five books, and  the host of a multi-award-winning talk show.

She also publishes a magazine, titled O, The Oprah Magazine, as well as providing a website, www.oprah.com, with resources and interactive content relating to her shows, magazines, book club, and public charity. You have to wonder if there's anything this amazing woman can't do.

As one of her millions of female fans, I have a great deal of respect for and trust in Oprah. When I'm at the store trying to find a magazine to later read, I tend to pass over what I consider to be sleazy tabloids and other trashy publications, and pick up the one I can always count on to be entertaining, honest, and beneficial, O.

The Oprah Magazine touches on issues that appeal to mature women of any age. The August issue includes articles such as: 6 Things to Eat Today for a Smarter Brain Tomorrow, The Breakthrough That Will Change the Way You Age, The Key to Creating a Clutter-Free Zone, The Breakfast of Weight Loss Champions, and 10 Revealing (and Fun!) Tests Every Woman Should Take.

In a nutshell, how to eat better, age slower, become smarter, be more organized, and for fun, take a few quizzes to see "how well you know yourself." Personally, I find every one of those articles appealing.

I like the way the magazine is laid out, right from the beginning. There are lots of ads, sure, but they are classy and appeal to everyday women like myself. They are ads that I can relate to; ads featuring gorgeous kitchen designs by Ikea, makeup ads with well-known (and well-liked) actresses like Ellen DeGeneres and Andie McDowell, ads for Oroweat bread and Pita chips, the 2013 Toyota Camry, and the latest Breyers Ice-Cream flavors. Already, it feels like my kind of magazine.


The stories are relevant. The photographs are innovative and bold. Each page is colorful and attractive. It's the kind of magazine I could spend a whole day in the park with.

I think the content is what sets this magazine far apart from its competition. It's sophisticated and classy; a magazine I could share with my mother, grandmother, or daughter and at the very least will entertain me with stories suitable for sharing at the dinner table.

Cosmopolitan is another publication that's made for the mature woman, and I've noticed that they can't even show the cover in the grocery store anymore; it's shielded from plain view up at the registers. This months issue features articles such as: Turn Him on From Across the Room, 52 Sex Tips, 4 Talks You Should Have Had With Him by Now, and When Your Vagina Acts Weird After Sex.

Personally, that's a magazine I wouldn't leave lying around the house. I think it's important that women have outlets and resources to discuss and explore their sexuality, but there also comes a time when a woman likes and deserves to put the focus on her own needs, times where we want something just for "us."

At the end up the day when I want to unwind in a bubble bath with some 'food for the soul', I'd much rather read a funny article written by actor Steve Carrell (page 44) or how to make over "weird spaces" in my house (page 64) in O, versus "Dirty Talk He'll Love" in Cosmo.

After picking up the latest issue of The Oprah Magazine for close to five dollars, I began wondering if all the same information was available on her website for free, or if each one had different things to offer. I decided to compare the two to decide how I could best enjoy all that Oprah had to offer.

The first thing I notice when I begin to browse the content of Oprah online, is that I find myself ignoring the advertisements, although there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same amount as in the magazine. As I mentioned before, the ads that are scattered (quite frequently) in the magazine, are very relevant to me and aren't a nuisance at all. I can't believe I am going to say this, but I think they are actually an enjoyable part of my reading experience. That aspect is actually missed while browsing online.

The content in O magazine, as well as online is more on the conservative side, so I don't think it could be considered offensive in the slightest. As for stereotypes, I think it does a great job in identifying with everyday women. Sure, there are gorgeous supermodels in there, like every other magazine, but the pages are also graced with those who look like 'you' and 'me';  business women, college students, mothers, grandmothers, etc.

Another big appeal to this magazine is that it focuses on several different areas in your life. It's not all about weight loss or home decorating or your sex life; it's got a little something for everyone. One of the biggest appeals to the online version is how easy it is to navigate between those different areas. Instead of searching for Oprah's latest book recommendations, you can simply click on the tab for books.

Overall, I feel that the website has a lot more articles and resources available to the reader, and like I said before, it's free, That may be enough right there to make anyone's mind up on which is better. But for me, it's much more fun to flip through a magazine and be able to try the Donna Karan "Cashmere Mist" perfume sample, and be able to entertain myself with a quiz when I'm away from home, waiting for my clothes to dry at the laundromat.

I truly feel that the magazine and the online version serve their audience equally. It's all a matter of which is more convenient or enjoyable for you to read. What I learned while writing this article is that my interests in life seem to have changed. I remember in my teens and early twenties when I always reached for Cosmo at the supermarket. I can't help but giggle at the thought. It feels good to realize I've branched out and have a lot more interests than I used to.

I hope that my readers will take this article as a little nudge and a reminder to make time for yourselves, and enjoy some "me" time, with a good book or magazine... even if it is Cosmo.



No comments:

Post a Comment