Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Brittney Humphrey



As if being a college instructor isn’t impressive enough, Brittany Humphrey is also a full-time student and the proud mother of a six-year-old boy.

Humphrey teaches Math 20 and Math 60 at two different campuses, four days a week and is enrolled in the Master of Arts & Teaching program at Western Oregon University, with only four terms remaining before she earns her master’s degree in teaching.

Sitting in her classroom, she doesn’t give the impression of being overloaded, overwhelmed, or even preoccupied. She has a smile on her face from start to finish, and really takes the time to make sure everyone understands and participates. “I really appreciate that she’ll stay after class and help us when we need it,” says Corina Cummings, a student enrolled in her Math 60 class at the Benton Center. “She’s nice and very patient.”

Wayne Bricco, a fellow math instructor at LBCC, refers to Humphrey as a "happy camper" and says he enjoys working with her. Math isn't the only thing they have in common; they also share the belief that prioritizing is of the utmost importance when it comes to juggling school with family, friends, and work. "Before you start anything, you want to set priorities like when this comes up, this is first. If this comes up, this is second and so on," says Bricco. "like when she has a son's birthday but she has a paper due; her son's birthday gets first choice, then you do the best you can on the rest of it."

Commuter: You have a lot on your plate being a teacher, a tutor, a mother, and a student. How do you keep up on homework with such a busy schedule?
Brittney Humphrey: Some times are harder than others. A lot of times I have to take my homework with me to my son’s T-Ball practice. I take my reading and read my textbook while he practices. I also work at the help desks at Albany and at Benton Center so I get some reading done and some of my homework done there, so that helps.

C: Have you always wanted to teach math?
BH: Originally, I was an elementary education major. I started tutoring math and actually taught math for my elementary ed. class. I was even tutoring some of my mom’s co-worker’s kids. At that point, I decided to start taking more math and see if that’s where I wanted to go. I decided it was and then switched majors. So it took me a little longer to get my bachelor's than I had planned.

C: Where do you see yourself in 5 years, professionally?
BH: Hopefully done with two master's. Right now I can only teach Math 20-95 and I’m part time. If I have my master's, I can get hired as a full-time faculty and I can teach up through calculus. And I want to teach at a community college. I’ll teach high school if I can’t but I would prefer to be at a community college. 

C: What’s your idea of a perfect day off, or do you even get days off?
BH: (Laughs) Well, you know… just being able to spend it with my son. If I can spend the majority of the day without doing homework or grading and just spend time with my son, then that to me, is a good day off.

C: Do you have any advice for students trying to find balance with going to school and working while also raising children?
BH: Prioritize. I've had to sacrifice a grade level on an assignment just because I couldn’t get there that day. You have to understand that those things will happen. And sometimes full-time isn’t the way to go. I spent some time going part-time just because I had other responsibilities. It may take you a little longer but you can still do it. Even if I was part-time, I just kept going. I made sure I always had some time for my son, and if it meant doing my homework at ten o’clock at night, then that’s what I did. But to me, my son is my highest priority.

So what’s next for Humphrey? The fall term after earning her master's degree at Western, she plans to enroll in the Masters in Math program at Oregon State. They say, "Nothing good comes easy," and I'm sure Humphrey would agree.


CONTACT INFO
Phone: 541-757-8944 ext 5113
Office Hours:
Mon. 10 – 11am WOH 103 (Albany)
Wed. 3 – 4pm BC 101 (Benton Center)
Email: brittney.humphrey@linnbenton.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment