Sunday, April 29, 2012

Don't Look Now, You're Giving Blood!


I was a ball of nerves about donating blood for the first time but I was determined.

When I arrived at the Red Cross blood drive here on campus last week and found out that I might not be able to donate, I was quite disappointed. Of all the times I'd thought about and wanted to donate, this was the first time I'd actually shown up to do it. But why didn't I think to make an appointment? Oh well, maybe next time.

They asked me to sign in and wait for just a bit while they worked to see if they could get me in there. While I waited, I couldn't keep my eyes off of "in there." It was a large room, with about six folding hospital beds, ten phlebotomist's, and various medical staff in white lab coats. Several people were donating, and I could see the tubes coming out from their arms, attached to the donation bags. I started to get nervous.


I was sure I could handle the small amount of pain that might come from the needle, and I didn't have a fear of needles either. What I was afraid of was the tube and the bag, or to be more accurate... the blood. I had no idea how I was going to react to seeing my own blood. The thought of it made me cringe. But I really wanted to do this. I wanted to help and to know that by giving up a small amount of my time and a little bit of my blood, I had made a difference.

So I just wouldn't look. That was my solution. I'd turn my head when they put the needle in and I'd never even glance at the bag. But they looked pretty busy in there. Maybe they were just too busy and wouldn't be able to squeeze me in after all. Hey, I meant well. I wanted to donate, but I probably wouldn't get the chance today. I felt my heart rate start to slow down a bit and tried not to smile too big. A big sigh of relief and then, "Okay Michelle. Are you ready?" Oh shit.

The screening process and "mini-physical" didn't take long at all. I answered a few questions about my health history and had my heart rate and blood pressure checked. Then the phlebotomist took a capillary blood sample by pricking the tip of my finger. Oh. My. God. Wow, that hurt. But what could I do? I'm a grown woman, not a child. I couldn't cry about it (at least not until I left).

The lady that had helped me left and within a couple minutes a Richard Gere look-a-like came to get me for the donation. I could do this. All of a sudden, I felt brave. I hopped on to the bed while "Richard" prepped me. I was all smiles. Hi Richard. Yes, this is my first time.

He sterilized my arm, with iodine I believe, and opened a brand new needle. Oh boy, there it was. I decided that I could still be a "brave, little soldier" and also take the time to check out what was going on in the rest of the room. What were they serving at the refreshment table? Well that's an interesting painting. I like that girl's boots, they're so cu-oooooouuuuucccchhhh!

I didn't have to ask if it was in yet, that's for sure. I squeezed Mr. Gere's stress ball every five seconds and began to feel relaxed. It was hard not to notice the blood-filled tube coming from my arm, but it really didn't bother me. It's not like I was looking at that big dreaded donation bag.

In about three minutes, he said I was half way done. I couldn't believe it was happening so fast. He told me that wasn't always the case, and that sometimes it took up to twenty minutes. I guess I was lucky; it took less then ten for me.

Before I knew it, my donation was finished and the bag was full. He lifted it up, sealed it and laid it on the bed, right next to my leg. There it was, what I was most afraid of, right there next to me. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. It was amazing to see all that blood that had just been inside me, now right there in front of me. "That's your life right there." Richard said.

I couldn't stop smiling. Yes, it was my life, and now it was all sealed up and ready to be a part of someone else's. I looked at the cute, little bag full of my blood, and thought of the journey it would go on. Later it would be tested in a lab in Portland and within a few days, it would be in a hospital waiting to help people. My donation had the potential to save the lives of three people. I couldn't imagine a more beautiful gift, or a better way to spend an afternoon. And to think... in just a couple months, I get to do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment